Skinless petite yellow lentils
Red chilli powder
- Wash ½ cup arhar dal and ¼ cup moong dal with water 2 to 3 times until the water runs clear. Soak the lentils in 2-3 cups of water and keep them aside. Press SAUTE button on the instant pot. Once it says hot, add 2 tablespoon vegetable oil to the inner pot.
- Once the oil is hot and shimmery, add ½ cup of chopped onions and fry until they turn light brown (8-10 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger and 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies and ½ cup chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir frequently while cooking.
- Now add 1 teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, and 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder, and cook for a minute.
- Drain the water from the lentils, add them to the pot with 3 cups of water and 1 teaspoon salt, and stir well.
- Close the pot’s lid and set the valve to the sealing position.
- Press PRESSURE COOK and set the timer to 10 minutes on high pressure. The instant pot will take some time to build pressure and start the timer.
- Once the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Then release the remaining pressure manually by moving the valve to the venting position. Use a cloth or a spoon to move the valve to avoid steam burn. Open the lid of the pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon lime juice to the pot and mix the cooked dal well using a wire whisk or a madani until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add some more water if the dal is thick for your liking, and bring it to a boil by pressing the SAUTE button. Check for salt and add more if needed. Set the cooked dal aside.
- Once the lentils are cooked, let’s give them a tempering. Heat 2 tablespoon ghee in a small thin bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Once the ghee is hot, add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and ¼ teaspoon asafetida (hing) and let them crackle for 4-5 seconds. Add 2-3 whole dry red chilies and 2 tablespoon minced garlic and fry until it turns golden brown. Stir frequently. Switch off the heat and add 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder to the pan. Pour the tempering immediately over the cooked lentils and mix well. Garnish with 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro (coriander) and serve hot.